Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ski day!

I had a great time skiing today, and even though it's only the second day of skiing for me this winter season, I feel like I have improved a lot this year! I fixed the drag of one of my feet while turning by guiding that ski into the turn and tilting my foot in the direction of the turn, which has made my turns a lot smoother. That was on Saturday. Today I (serendipitously) became more comfortable with speed by taking wider turns and speeding up more while making my turning arc. I like skiing a lot.


I wanted to write about two new tracks that were released, but I'm not sure if I am going to cover them in detail, at least in this post. BFMV released a song from their upcoming third-album, called Fever. The song is called Begging for Your Mercy. I read in some interviews that Bullet were going for a more hard-rock sound on this album rather than the thrash metal/metalcore sound they had on Scream Aim Fire. However they characterize this album's sound, the new song sounds great (and it sounds like thrash metal to me). Matt Tuck starts the song with a cool riff in drop c (possibly d standard) and Michael Paget contributes great lead guitar, playing his parts with a wah pedal set in a certain position to act like an eq filter (personal note: I am finding it difficult to write compellingly about music because the adjectives that I am drawn to lack descriptive quality, such as "great" or "cool"--I will work on developing my descriptive skills). I liked the song and thought it was very good. I'm excited for Fever! Coming out in April.

Trivium's new song is a real treat, for many reasons. Though not apparent at first listen, it is in drop D, marking a return to the tuning for Trivium, and the return of lots of guitar covers on youtube. People found it difficult to play Shogun because a lot of it was on 7-string guitar, so a Trivium song in drop D on a 6-string is awesome. I am working on their song "Entrance of the Conflagration" and maybe I'll switch to drop dizzle for some time and learn this song on the way.

This song marks the recording debut of their new drummer, who laid down a great drum track, following in the technical tradition of his predecessor. The guitar bend that starts off the song and the intro riff as a whole rock really hard. Matt Heafy's vocals are as harsh and aggressive as ever, and Corey Beaulieu recorded a fast solo, while Matt, has a slower, more melodic guitar solo. I really like this track and am excited for the direction of Trivium's new album that will probably be recorded later this year and released in 2011.

I feel like expanding what I talk about in my blog to possibly include some work-intensive projects such as a review or essay, and maybe something related to what I am interested in professionally. So I am going to be using this blog as my writing outlet for whatever I am working on to fill my time productively, and enjoyably. Peace, love, hardcore.

No comments:

Post a Comment