Saturday, March 20, 2010

Music

Pretty much all of my concert plans fell through for some reason or other, but many more are coming to Buffalo as the busy summer concert season approaches.

I love discovering music that I haven't heard before, as well as discovering bands that have recently formed. I just read a NY Times Music article about Surfer Blood, a West Palm Beach, Florida surf-rock band that is performing this weekend at South by Southwest Music Festival, or SXSW, in Austin, Texas. They formed in the past year, and hope to bring back melodic guitar lines in their songs. I took a quick listen on their myspace and was interested, soo, luckily they are coming to Soundlab in the next few weeks, and I hope to check them out.

Another new band that I discovered, Sleeping with Sirens, is coming out with their debut album this Tuesday, and is streaming it on their myspace, a very common thing to do these days. I listened to almost all of their songs, and absolutely loved their sound. Their vocalist, while male, sounds female (like Jag from A Skylit Drive), but has a youthful, "scene-y" voice, which I am fond of. The guitars are very interesting, playing everything from chords and melodies to sweep picked arpeggios over rhythmic breakdowns. The drums add double-bass at the appropriate times, and the overall sound and production is very modern, and sounds fantastic. I found this band randomly while on smnnews.com, a metal news site. They are a new favorite of mine.

Bullet For My Valentine released a music video for their song "The Last Fight" which includes a melodic pre-chorus that I am obsessed with right now. Their new album, Fever, is coming out in April.

As I Lay Dying's The Powerless Rise is coming out in May. It is produced by superstar producer and KSE guitarist, Adam Dutkiewicz, who is amazing. I look forward to both of these albums and to reviewing them on this blog.


Escape the Fate are going into the studio to record their as-of-yet untitled third album, and Attack Attack! probably already recorded Shazam!, since they are going out on tour.

Finally, here is a list of shows I hope to go to in the next month or so. I will try to take pictures and post some either here, or on facebook.

April 13--Surfer Blood @ Soundlab
April 14--The Fall of Troy FINAL SHOW EVER @ Mohawk Place
April 23 or 24--Cute Is What We Aim For @ Mohawk Place
April 25--Job For A Cowboy and White Chapel @ Mohawk Place
May 4--Sleeping With Sirens @ Mohawk Place

Pretty exciting month, concert-wise. Surf-rock, spazcore, power pop, extreme metal, and screamo.

No comments:

Post a Comment