Saturday, January 30, 2010

Once It Hits Your Lips Tour: Review and Thoughts


I decided to make it to this show since I had never been to Mohawk Place and it was a cheap ticket to see 5 bands. I don't remember all of the band names, but I know there was The Ready Set, The Bigger Lights, Anarbor (who are from Phoenix...?), and The Friday Night Boys.

Overall impression was positive. I felt a little old, seeing that the crowd was mostly younger girls, but I had a lot of fun, and going to shows is one of my favorite things to do anyway, regardless of the crowd makeup. The Mohawk is basically a bar with a small room in the back with a stage. I like those kind of hole-in-the-wall, ratty places because they have more character than squeaky clean joints.

Walking up to the door, I spotted the lead singer of TFNB walk in, and he was hanging out a lot close to where I was before he came on, which I liked. I noticed that all of the bands had pro gear. I saw an Orange amp, and I don't know too much about them, but I think they're pretty good. As for guitars, it was a night dominated by Fender and Gibson. The Les Paul and Telecaster ruled the night, with guest appearances by a white stratocaster, and red PRS.

Two things about most of the performances that stood out to me were the outstanding vocals and drumming. It strikes me that it is crucial in a band to have a great vocalist who can really shine live (with instrument or without-I prefer without personally). The Ready Set, The Bigger Lights, and Anarbor, had really well sung, clear, in tune, soulful vocals that absolutely made the performances. TFNB's vocals were a bit too quiet, which led to an amusing exchange between a girl and an older guy.

Guy: Turn up the vocals!! I can't hear!
Girl: SHUT UP!
Guy:...EAT MY ASSHOLE!

The drumming was flat-out amazing. The drummers were playing a lot of blastbeats, and lent energy, sonic presence, and vitality to the performances. I was also blown away by how well TFNB's guitarist performed the solo to "High School" so effortlessly and fluidly live.

It was an inspiring night for many reasons. On the one hand, it inspired me to branch out into pop-punk composition. On the other hand, it was great to see songs being performed live, because you actually get to see (really well) how and where the songs are being played on the guitar. Therefore, it gave some idea as to what positions the guitarists were using to craft their songs. The most important things I took away were the top three strings being used to arpeggiate a chord progression (with a static fret-hand position a lot of the time), or add sprinkles to some rhythm chord sequence.

I had fun at the show, got inspired and saw some great music, with a particular focus on drumming and vocals.

Next month is going to be hectic in terms of entertainment options. The Super Bowl and the Olympics are coming up soon. Since the weather is so bad I've all but decided to scrap the Cleveland show, and go to some great alternatives. I think first up is an early February Scary Kids Scaring Kids Final Show at the Mohawk, and then I think I'll go see Atreyu pretty soon after. Either way much fun will be had next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment