Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sickkk

I went to NYC last night for the Escape the Fate concert, supported by Black Tide, William Control and Attack Attack! It was a really sick show. Here is Escape the Fate performing "There's No Sympathy for the Dead" at the Fillmore at Irving Plaza, where the concert was held.



I'm going to try to tie in some stuff about electronic music in this post as well.

Unfortunately, when I finally got to the venue, Attack Attack! were already playing (there was a long line outside). As soon as youtube videos of their performance are posted I will add them to my blog.

I caught three of their songs--Dr. Shavargo Pt. 3, Catfish Soup, and The People's Elbow. As I mentioned before, there is a synth element to their post-hardcore sound. I wish I had gotten a better look at their synthesizer setup, but I believe it was two Korg synthesizers stacked on top of each other. Their clean vocals were done by one of their guitarists and were processed, something you don't usually see in live vocal performances. This effect was used to mirror the one they use on their album, and it is a type of distortion or light vocoder (effects we learned about in class). Attack Attack's sound was unbelievable, and the mix was great too. I thought that, along with Escape the Fate, they sounded the best last night.

Next up was someone I was not familiar with, William Control. His music consists of industrial dance beats (think NIN) and vocals. He also had a bass player with him on stage. While his style of music didn't really mesh with the rest of the lineup last night, I warmed to his sound by the end of his set.

Black Tide came on next. The crowd wasn't too alive during their set, but I was really happy when they busted out an old-school Metallica cover, "Hit the Lights". A huge circle pit formed during that song. I like their old-school thrash metal approach, and the whole band had tremendous stage presence as well as instrumental chops (especially the drummer and guitarists). However, their live performance didn't get the crowd too excited.

Escape the Fate was a different story. When they came on, all hell broke loose, as they say. Mosh pits started popping up everywhere, and pushing, swaying, singing, screaming, and crowd surfing all took place. Their set list, to the best of my memory, was:

The Flood
Reverse the Curse
There's No Sympathy for the Dead
Something
You Are So Beautiful
Not Good Enough for Truth In Cliché
On to the Next One
Ashley
The Guillotine
This War is Ours (The Guillotine II)
Situations

There was a wall of death for "The Guillotine" which is where the crowd splits down the middle and runs at each other when the song starts, basically creating a crowd-wide mosh pit. I got pretty close to the front row and had a blast the entire time. Escape the Fate, Black Tide, and Attack Attack! will all be on Warped Tour this summer, so check them out!

P.S. The clip below shows how crazy the show was during ETF's last song (and you can see me on the right side of the screen with glasses at the 0:21-0:22 mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment