Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hello me...meet the real me!

Welcome back me! =<) haha The title of this post is a line from the song "Sweating Bullets" from Megadeth's 1992 album Countdown to Extinction. I'm currently reading Mustaine: A Life in Metal, Dave Mustaine's autobiography. I will post some thoughts when I finish, but...boy, let me tell you. The stereotype of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll does not even begin to describe these guys. It's more like, extravagantly insane, diverse and frequent drug use and scurrilous (read: Protest The Hero's new album) sex. And oh yeah, I think these guys play something called heavy metal? I think it's their day job. Or something.

Dave Mustaine composed one of my all-time favorite songs though: Holy Wars...The Punishment Due off of the landmark, genre-defining 1990 album Rust in Peace, which celebrated its 20th! anniversary last year. I will probably devote a future post to professing my undying love for this album...

Rando thought section:

The Social Network won Best Original Score at the Oscars?!
If the Academy were to award a composer for an ambient, electronic score, IT SHOULD HAVE AWARDED IT TO JAMES NEWTON HOWARD FOR MICHAEL CLAYTON A FEW YEARS BACK. Far superior. Plus, James' collaborator on Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, Hans Zimmer, composed a spectacular score for Inception. A further post coming about both scores.

Alice in Chains bassist found dead
Even though I know drugs and drug addiction pervade musical culture, I want to explore (if there is) historical inception for this phenomenon and talk about certain groups or genres that eschew the practice (Christian metalcore in mind).

Second-guessing yourself as an arbiter taste
More to come

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Visited Cleveland today and went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Impressions forthcoming.

NEW: The Humand Abstract's Digital Veil
I think this is the most sweep-picked arpeggios I have heard in an hour.

Some thoughts on religion


1 comment:

  1. rock and roll hall of fame: meh.
    ambient electronic music (not equal to sign) music.

    ReplyDelete