Sunday, April 5, 2009

Assignment 3 Review

For this post, I will review the work of another classmate, Nicholas Simmons-Stern. Given that the assignment parameters called for a one minute track, and Nick submitted a three minute track, I will selectively describe things that stood out for me in his composition.

The track begins with an ambient mood as synthesizers and pads create an aural landscape in a minor key. Nick includes some vocals in the background as the track progresses, creating a neat effect. The beat and tempo are well situated to the laid back, trance-like atmosphere that the track creates. 

I really like the way that instruments fade in and out in the track. It is clear that Nick spent time arranging his piece and it shows in the final product. Nick switches back and forth from one bass line to another as the track progresses.

Overall, I thought the track did a great job of creating a mood. The trance-like mood was facilitated by the attention to detail in bringing instruments in and out. As I am hoping to do a trance track for my final project, I hope to pay as much attention to arrangement as Nick did in his stellar track.

No comments:

Post a Comment